1. Choose low impact materials: such as non toxic, sustainably produced or recycled materials that use little energy to process.
2. Energy Efficiency: use processes and materials that require low energy to produce and process.
3. Quality and Durability: use long lasting materials that require little to no replacement and low maintenance.
4. Design for reuse and recycling: “Products, processes, and systems should be designed for performance in a commercial afterlife.”
5. Design Impact measures for the totality of carbon footprint. Estimate the carbon footprint that will occur and use it to your advantage while designing a sustainable building or development.
6. Set sustainable design standards
7. Biomimicry: is the redesigning of materials on biological lines
8. Service Substitution: Promotes a car sharing services and discourages the usage of private automobiles to get from one place to another
9. Renewability: the usage of local materials for design purposes
10. Robust eco design: the design of pollution sources